Monday 5 January 2015

I'm Not Making A Resolution for 2015


I guess we could say making the resolution to not make a resolution is a resolution (does resolution even still sound like a word at this point?), but let's just see how most of mine go every year. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I made one. This being my point exactly, it gets to about halfway through January, and I have just forgotten what it was. It is not exactly that I can't keep to a resolution, but more I just never remember what it was.
A friend of mine once told me years ago that you don't need a new year to have a fresh start or to make a resolution. You can do that whenever you want. Mondays are the start of the week and I think making note to do something better that week is much easier than for an entire year. On paper, a year is a really long time!
I am of course not in any way saying there are not things that I wish I did more, or less, or just things that I could improve upon. However, last year, despite aspects of it being very difficult, I really started to come into my own. A large part of this was most definitely due to my decision to go to America for a year. Being in a whole new place and having to live there really made me realise more about myself, and where I've come from. Never before had I been particularly interested in British history, but now, I wanna spread the word of everything we did! (My proud Britishness is never stronger than when an American asks me waht's so good about tea).

Essentially, I am not going to look at myself and list the things I dislike and then decide which one needs the most work and focus on that for a year. Which, let's face it, is pretty much what a new year's resolution is. I'm not saying don't make one, but just consider if you're making it for the right reasons. And are you just doing it because you feel you should? Or that you always do? Are you really going to stick to it?
I will worship those that do!

Here's to maybe not making a New Year's Resolution, Resolution!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment