Wednesday 14 May 2014

The Promise of Happiness - Justin Cartwright | Book Review


This was a book I picked up in a little charity shop round the corner from me at uni and am I glad I did! It starts off quite strange, with a main protagonatist peeing in a graveyard and this did set me off thinking that maybe this was going to be a bloody weird book.
However it has become one of my definite favourite books. It follows a family of five, who have been split up and spread all over the world for various reasons; the middle daughter in a questionable job and relationship in London, the youngest son becoming a millionaire in the States and the eldest daughter just coming out of prison for a crime she didn't technically commit and the loving Mother and distant Father is their resultant home in Devon. Don't worry, none of this is a spoiler!Cartwright portrayed the family soso well that you could really see them as being in existence and as really struggling with all of their problems and laughing through all of their good times.
His writing is also absolutely wonderful. Some of his sentences read just like poetry and give such a lovely, sentimental touch to the book, that I couldn't help keep on reading and reading through the chapters.

This was a truly great little read and would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys a fairly heary-warming familial tale. I'm not going to lie, I also found the characters pretty inspiring, especially the beloved eldest daughter JuJu.

Next Up: Before I Met You - Lisa Jewel

Would you read this powerful work?
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment